Agonis Group is proud to be supporting the Country Rail Network (CRN) on rail asset upgrades in NSW. This vital work being undertaken by John Holland on behalf of Transport for NSW (TfNSW) is critical in maintaining rail operations across country NSW and providing significant economic benefit for the State.
A recent example of the great work being undertaken by John Holland was the Parkes Yard Upgrade in New South Wales. Over an extended possession, Peter Jackson from Agonis worked closely with the John Holland team to provide rail engineering and project management support.
The project scope included the track renewal over 500m including full formation replacement and the installation of 2No. 1 in 8.5 turnouts. All work was safely completed within the Possession period enabling the resumption of train services on time.
Congratulations go to the John Holland and TfNSW teams who undertake ongoing critical upgrades to the NSW Country Network regularly without fuss or fanfare. The detailed planning and delivery associated with track renewal maintenance to maintain safe and reliable train operations is a credit to all.
The project sequence was:
- Remove existing track and excavated to a depth of 1.3m
- Replace 500mm of new formation
- Replace 150mm of capping
- Installation of 300mm of bottom ballast
Installation of Turnout Panels:
- Each turnout was broken into 3 sections
- Each Section lifted into position using FEL’s with specifically designed Jib attachments
Once all Turnouts were in position:
- Top Ballast was placed
- Turnouts Tamped to line and level
- All turnouts fully welded
Materials used to complete the upgrade:
- Approximately 500t of new formation and capping material
- Approximately 700t of Ballast